LAPP introduces new products for the rail industry
LAPP has expanded its range for the rail sector, which now features over 850 products and 500 cables. The range includes tried and tested power and control cables but also connectors and glands, cable protection systems and marking solutions. Thanks to its efficient logistics network, LAPP now offers even greater stock availability, no minimum order quantity and five-day delivery on most rail products.
This means reduced stockholding at the customer end and higher flexibility on project delivery – without compromising on quality. In addition, LAPP rolling stock products are manufactured in accordance with European safety norms such as EN 45545-2 (Hazard Level 1, 2 and 3) and EN 45545-3. This is part of LAPP on-going commitment to ensure passenger and crew safety in the event of a fire.
The new product range features:
- ÖLFLEX CLASSIC 110 H SF: This control cable is the workhorse of the LAPP portfolio. After being used successfully on the factory floor, it is now also available for train applications. It can be used to power doors, lighting or air conditioning systems. With its Class 6 conductors, this new variant is extremely flexible, allowing for installation in tight spaces. Further variants include the shielded ÖLFLEX CLASSIC 115 CH SF and ÖLFLEX CLASSIC 115 CH SF (TP). The latter features a twisted-pair design that makes it suitable for entertainment systems or transferring data to a driver’s control panel. Just like all of LAPP’s cables for the rail industry, the new products meet the requirements for fire protection in rail vehicles EN 45545-2.
- ÖLFLEX TRAIN HT 150: This single-core silicon cable is designed for use at high temperatures and can withstand up to 150°C. Possible applications include engines or power converters. The cable is rated at Hazard Level 3, the highest level for fire protection; it is also certified to EN 50382-2 for the construction of silicone cables and it is available in cross-sections of 1.5 mm2 to 400 mm2 with 1.8 kV or 3.6 kV. Featuring a two-layer sheath with silicone insulation, the cable is also available with a single-layer sheath and Class 6 conductors. This makes it flexible and suitable for installation in places with a tight bending radius.
- ÖLFLEX TRAIN 340 and ÖLFLEX TRAIN 345C: These new power and control cables meet the high demands of the rail sector in line with EN 50264-3-2. They are now available in cross-sections of 0.5 mm2 to 50 mm2, with two up to 40 cores and they are suitable for various purposes including outdoor installation, thanks to their UV resistant black outer sheath. Finally, these products also withstand high temperatures, oil and fuel, and are certified to EN 45545-2.
- Also new to the range is the SKINTOP ST-HF-M (in black) with increased UV resistance for outdoor use. In addition to vibration protection, optimal strain relief and oil resistance, these plastic glands are approved for use in the rail industry in line with EN 45545-2 (Hazard Level 3). All materials, including the seals, are also 100% halogen-free. In addition to the light grey design for interior applications, there is now a black version with improved UV resistance for outdoor use.
- The brass glands in the SKINTOP MS-HF-M series fulfil the strictest requirements in line with EN 45545-2 (Hazard Level 3) and EN 45545-3 (E30 fire resistance).
- They are available with a shield contact spring as SKINTOP MS-HF-M SC or with a brush insert as SKINTOP MS-HF-M BRUSH in EMC applications for shielded ÖLFLEX TRAIN cables.
- Numerous EPIC rectangular connectors are also approved for the special requirements of the rail industry. The EPIC MH modular connector system, for example, also fulfils EN 45545-2 requirements, is highly resistant and is very quick to assemble. The fixed frame enables one module after the other to be simply locked in place, so EPIC MH is pluggable, even with standard products on the market. When connecting cables in the EPIC MH system, LAPP relies on crimp contacts, which are highly vibration-proof and thus offer a very important advantage for the rail industry in comparison to screwed contacts. Another special feature of the EPIC MH is the gigabit module for connecting Etherline Cat. 7 cables to facilitate ultra-high-speed data transmission in modern trains.